European Tour 2002
In October 2002, I joined my brother Peter and sister-in-law
Yvonne for a tour of Europe, based around the canonisation
of (then) Blessed Josemaria Escriva, founder of Opus Dei.
Herein is the photographic record of the trip. Note that the
day numbers listed here correspond with the numbering
used by Harvest Tours documents - this to make cross referencing
This part of the tour included the canonisation ceremony, as well
as a general exploration of Rome and its amazing historical sites.
- October 5th
- A tour of the Vatican Museum, St. Peter's Basilica and other
Christian sites around Rome.
- October 6th
- The Canonisation Mass.
- October 7th
- The thanksgiving Mass, and more of Rome
- October 8th
- Various Rome sights, including Santa Maria Maggiore
- October 9th
- Ancient Rome tour, and St. Clement's Basilica, including Mass
The Spanish section consisted of a circular tour of northern Spain,
including one night in Lourdes, France. This covered much of the
area where Saint Josemaria lived and worked.
- October 10th
- Flight to Madrid, then touring the Royal Palace and Almudena Cathedral.
- October 11th
- From Madrid to Zaragoza (Basilica of Our Lady of Pilar) and to Barcelona.
- October 12th
- The feast day of Our Lady of Pilar, and our day to tour Barcelona.
- October 13th
- Montserrat and Barbastro.
- October 14th
- El Grado to Lourdes, including Torreciudad.
- October 15th
- Lourdes then on the road to Pamplona.
- October 16th
- University of Navarre, in Pamplona.
- October 17th
- Segovia, including Mass, the aqueduct and Alcazar
- October 18th
- Avila and St. Teresa.
And finally, there is a page of
This represents the end of the pilgrimage, but you might want
to enjoy our anthem, so it's available here in
to read in your browser, or the
Microsoft Word format
version if you want to print it.
The vacation section - a time to wind down, for Yvonne to find
some of her roots, and just explore a country which every visitor
I have met says is just so enjoyable. And I can't disagree!
We had a rental car awaiting, and the general plan was to circumnavigate
- October 19th
- From Dublin to Drogheda
- October 20th
- Drogheda to Bangor, Northern Ireland
- October 21st
- Bangor to Sligo, Republic of Ireland.
- October 22nd
- Sligo to Gallway, incuding Carrowmore Megalithic Cemetery.
- October 23rd
- Gallway to Adare, incuding Cliffs of Moher.
- October 24th
- Adare to Killarney.
- October 25th
- Killarney to Bandon, including the Ring of Kerry.
- October 26th
- Bandon to Kilkenny.
- October 27th
- Kilkenny south to the coast, and also Jerpoint Abbey.
- October 28th to 30th
- Kilkenny to Dublin.